Canada extends its FSW category to PhD holders!
Canada in a new move to retain potential overseas candidates has enlarged its Federal Skilled Worker category to PhD holders too.
The Federal Skilled Worker program has a new eligibility stream that is open to international students who are pursuing or who have completed doctoral (PhD) studies at Canadian institutions.
Application category for PhD
You are an international student currently enrolled in a doctoral (PhD) program, delivered by a recognized post-secondary educational institution located in Canada, and:
• have completed at least two years towards the completion of your PhD,
• are in good academic standing and
• are not a recipient of a Government of Canada award requiring you to return to your home country to apply your knowledge and skills,
you have completed a PhD program from a recognized post-secondary educational institution located in Canada no more than 12 months before your application is received by the Centralized Intake Office (CIO) and:
• you have not received a Government of Canada award that requires you to return to your home country to apply your knowledge and skills; or
• if you were a recipient of such an award, you have satisfied the terms/conditions of the award
The following are the points awarded to PhD holders in various categories (only categories & points pertaining to PhD are covered in this article).
• Master’s or PhD AND at least 17 years of full-time or full-time equivalent study: 25 points
Accompanying Spouse or common-law partner’s level of education
• A Master’s degree or PhD and at least 17 years of full-time or full-time equivalent studies: 5 points
Letter of Attestation OR Official Transcripts (only for applicants applying under the PhD stream)
Letter of attestation from your recognized education institution
The letter must be:
• An official letter on university letterhead
• Signed by a recognized institutional authority such as the registrar or Dean of Graduate Studies
The letter must state the following information about the applicant:
• Is currently enrolled in a PhD program and has completed at least two years towards its completion; and
• Is deemed in good academic standing to the satisfaction of the institution
official transcripts from your recognized Canadian educational institution indicating that you were awarded a PhD within the past 12 months
The above changes are applicable to all the applications submitted after November 14, 2011. The applicants need to cater to the above regulations otherwise the application will be returned as incomplete. Contact our experts for further information.