Entering The UK As A Domestic Worker

Posted on

UK-Domestic-Worker-VisaAre you currently working in a domestic capacity? Is your employer a resident of the UK or an EEU citizen? If any of these criteria apply to you, then you may be able to enter the UK as a temporary resident for up to six months. The domestic worker visa is aimed at someone who has been working in the service of a UK/EU resident for a certain length of time and who wishes to travel with their employee whilst they visit the UK.

Who is classed as a domestic worker?

You are deemed to be classed as a domestic worker if you’re actively working in any of the following lists of professions:

  • Cleaner
  • Chauffeur
  • Cook 
  • Au Pair/ Nanny
  • Carer 

To apply for a visa under the ‘domestic worker in a private household’ category, you must have worked for your employer for a minimum of 1 year before applying to enter the UK, and you must also be an established member of their household. 

What do you need?

To Apply for entry to the UK as a domestic worker, you will need to supply signed documents from your employer stating the explicit terms and conditions of your employment. These must also say that your employer will comply with UK laws whilst you are in their service and pay the UK national minimum wage. You must be between the ages 18 and 65 to apply for the visa, and you must also be able to show that you can support yourself and not be reliant on public funding. The cost of the visa is £405, and you will need to apply for it at least 3 months before entering the country.

What rights do you have as a domestic worker and recent changes to the law

As a domestic worker, you can stay in the UK for up to six months or however long your employer chooses to stay in the UK, provided it’s no longer than six months. You cannot bring family/relatives over with you, and you cannot be reliant on public funding. Up until 2016, you were not able to change employers whilst staying in the UK, but this ruling has now been amended. You are now able to change employers as long as you’re still working in a domestic capacity and providing you stay no longer than the original six month period.

For more information about this, please fill out a Free assessment form. One of our consultants will get back to you. For more updates follow us on Facebook , Twitter , Google


Related Post